March 20th, 2023
Tomorrow, March 21, is World Down Syndrome Day. We encourage the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) community to celebrate this day with us. This year, the theme “With Us, Not For Us” is a reminder that people with Down syndrome need to be part of the work being done to secure them the same rights and opportunities as everyone else.
About World Down Syndrome Day
World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) is a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012. March 21 (3.21) was chosen as the date for WDSD to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
How To Participate
To recognize World Down Syndrome Day, the Waterloo Wellington Down Syndrome Society (WWDSS) has suggested some activities:
- Wear colourful or mismatched socks on Tuesday, March 21. Colourful socks look a little like chromosomes and are a fun way to celebrate. Whatever the colour and design, whether mismatched or matched, socks are socks and people are people, with or without Down syndrome.
- Younger students may enjoy designing their own colourful socks.
- Wear blue and yellow. These colours are designated as the colours for Down syndrome awareness.
- Perform Random Acts of Kindness! This initiative was started in 2016. Cards can be handed out linking the RAK in honour of the individual with DS. The link to the cards can be found at RAK Cards.
- Share your activities and messages on social media. Be sure to use #WorldDownSyndromeDay or #WDSD to participate in a wider conversation.
Resources for World Down Syndrome Day
- You can find a great video explaining Down syndrome produced by the Down Syndrome Research Foundation at What is Down Syndrome?
- The video Just Like You is another great video about Down syndrome, although slightly longer. It is found at Just Like You
- Members of Waterloo Wellington Down Syndrome Society co-wrote a song with 3x Juno Award-nominated songwriter and music producer Alysha Brilla for World Down Syndrome Day in 2021, celebrating inclusivity. You can find the music video here: 3-2-1 Dance! (Rock Your Socks) – WWDSS featuring Kreative Kash & Ren F.
Categories: Principal's Message